The Mobile Computing Geekosphere

Monday, September 25, 2006

Review of MC devices by MT DEQ

TO: Lou Hamm

FROM: Julian Calabrese

DATE: September 25, 2006

SUBJECT: GPS Equipment

After some time using the mobile computing devices furnished by OSM to me I have the following comments.

Hewlett Pakard iPAQ PDA:

Positives:
• I like this device and have used it for most everything its capable of
• Compact
• Useful for everyday inspection and meetings
• Keeps notes easily
• Works well for navigational GPS and data work
• Data storage
• The HP folks were excellent with service when I had problems

Negatives:
• Crashes often (with the SD and CF cards data is safe)
• GPS is only capable of recreational grade.
• Screen is small for mapping purposes
• Not good for long days of data collection
• Durability is marginal (ok with drops and dust, but moisture bad)

Overall I like this platform for most uses as long as I take the negative points into account most of the time it is a dandy piece of equipment.

Trimble Recon:
I did not get a whole bunch of time on this device, but I was able to get some items for you. It functions pretty much like the HP; however, the CE mobile platform is set up so companies using it can configure it to their liking.

Positives:
• Case makes it more rugged
• PDA functionality

Negatives:

• I found that Trimble removed some of the handy features that the HP had.
• The touch screen was really sticky with the stylus and made the note taking cumbersome.
• The plug in GPS comes loose during transport and causes problems
• The screen is really small

Overall it is a handy device; however, with others around not much used. I do think it could be better for long data collection days due to durability and the note taking features are better than the trimble Geo XT. Also since it is a Trimble product the GPS correction capability should be available (I am learning about this and was unable to test it).

Teletype GPS 16 channel:

I find this GPS to function well with the Blue tooth PDA and it is one of the accurate recreational GPS units. The drawback is that there is not a good way to attach it and you have to hold it in a hand or make a way to get it to stay in a place it gets a signal.

GlobalSat GPS 20 Channel:

This GPS has a great belt mounted carrying pouch and it will hold a signal when you walk through a building and jump in and out of cars. However, the accuracy is definitely the downside I had many points off by quite a bit. Points were consistently off in the same direction so if there is a way to correct it would be a really nice Blue Tooth type receiver.

I believe these are all the devices I have that need reporting on. Please contact me with any questions.